Tuesday, September 16, 2008

......

INTERESTING THAT I used that photo of the pier on the previous posting. I told you that I would be spending the night in the bedroom I slept in as a child, but as it turned out, all of my sleeping hours were spent right there on the pier.

My childhood home sits empty, devoid of much of the furniture that populated it previous to the death of my parents. The systems are failing...including an air conditioner that can't seem to produce cool air. I had forgotten how hot and sticky a late-summer day in the Tidewater area can be. Fortunately for us--my siblings, siblings-in-law, and husband--the air-conditioned church where Aunt Emily's funeral service was held gave us a respite from the heat. Back at the house, we all searched out the coolest sleeping arrangements to be had.

Outdoors there was a pleasant breeze blowing and a gorgeous full moon, and my sister-in-law, Gail, agreed to walk to the pier with me, as everyone else had retired for the night. There were moon shadows on the grass as we made our way down the hill to the river and, once there, we were so charmed by the moonlight on the water and the sound of the waves lapping at the pier (the tide was high), that we had a sudden inspiration to sleep there. It involved a round trip back to the house for sleeping bags, and to leave a hastily scribbled note of our whereabouts.

I can't say that it was a comfortable night of sleep. But we sacrificed comfort for beauty and came out way ahead! The lights of the bridge were like a string of sparkling diamonds in the distance. Orion, the swashbuckler, kept watch overhead. The gentle slap-slap of the waves and the cries of the night birds were an unrivaled symphony. All night the breeze gave us coolness in the bargain. Without question, however, the piece de resistance was that big full moon, luminous and bright, lighting every dancing ripple on the water. (I realize this all sounds a bit overwrought, but please bear with me, there's more!)

Although we talked for several hours (true slumber-party style), we did drift off to sleep at some point, and the moon continued its trek through the sky. I tossed and turned and pulled on an extra cover, sleeping restlessly, and, I'm convinced, unconsciously aware of the beauty surrounding me. And then, at some hour of the very early nighttime morning, I lifted my head from the pillow and gasped.  I truly did suck in my breath in astonishment!  There across the river, to the west and full in my face--full in my face, I tell you!-- hung the moon in all its glory, enormous and just out of reach.  Skimming the tree line, it threw its light in a wide, shimmering path across the mile of water. 

I will never forget it, Reader Dear!
.......

p.s. Maybe it's best that I was unable to post my one cell-phone-camera shot of the moon on the river, so pathetically does it do justice to the scene. You can likely do better in conjuring it up yourself. Or, hmm....What are you doing next full moon, Dear Reader?

No comments: