Sunday, September 21, 2008

...

TODAY WAS FRABJOUS. Just frabjous, I tell you! Are you guessing I grabbed this f-word out of thin air, Dear Reader? (fabulous, sunny, thin air)? I did no such thing! Frabjous is something to chortle about, as Alice could have told you (when she was ten feet tall)  This is Alice of Wonderland, Reader Dear,  and Alice of the Looking Glass. It was the Jabberwocky who would have taught the word to Alice, and it was Lewis Carroll who put the words in the Jabberwocky's mouth.

It was my mother, however,  who taught them to me:
                   " 'O frabjous day! Collooh! Callay!' he chortled in his joy"

Thus it was that I grew up chortling about frabjous days, and I'm sure I'll be doing so as long as summer continues to cycle round to autumn year after year and I'm still here to exclaim about the days too beautiful for mere words found in a dictionary.





No comments: